These two adorable playmates prove that the old cliché about “fighting like cats and dogs” doesn’t always apply. Pancake and Cantaloupe seem like best buddies for life, and it gives us the warm fuzzies to see them play. Share this video with someone who could use a smile today!
The video of Pancake and Cantaloupe may have you thinking about bringing home a canine companion for your own cat. But before you do, follow a few tips to make sure they have a great first impression!
Introducing A New Dog To Your Cat
If you’re bringing home a new furry family member, you’ll want to make sure they have a chance to get along with your other pets, especially if they’re of a different species.
The best thing to do is start off with a cat and dog when they’re both young. If they grow up together, they’ll have a far easier time getting along.
But maybe you’ve already got an adult kitty. How should you go about bringing a new dog home to meet them? Here are some tips:
- Consider adopting an adult or senior dog. Puppies may have too much energy for your cat.
- Pick a dog with a low prey drive. You don’t want them chasing kitty around all the time!
- Make sure your cat has a place to retreat. Some perches or kitty condos will keep them out of pup’s reach.
- Give your kitty their own space. Make sure their bed, litter, food, and water are well away from the doggo.
- Get them used to each other’s scent. Rub a cloth on each pet and place it in the other’s sleeping area or near their food bowl.
- Let them investigate each other’s hangout spots once they start to feel comfortable.
- Make the introduction through a baby gate or door. If they seem interested and sniff each other, let them meet without the baby gate, but restrain the dog just in case.
- Let them warm up to each other. These things take time!
For a more full, complete list of instructions, check out our article about making dog-cat introductions here!
Does your cat love to play with a doggy buddy? Do you have any tips for helping dogs and cats get along with each other like Pancake and his pal do in the video? Let us know in the comments below!